Dr Mark Donaldson
Dr Mark Donaldson Specialises in:
- Refractive Cataract Surgery – including astigmatism correcting lenses (Toric IOLs), multifocal lenses (ReSTOR IOLs)
- The management and treatment of glaucoma
- The management and treatment of diabetic eye disease, venous occlusion and macular degeneration (ARMD)
After graduating from Auckland Medical School in 1986 Dr Donaldson completed his Ophthalmic Specialist training at Wellington Hospital in 1998. He went on to gain valuable experience during his fellowship at the Western Ophthalmic Hospital, London and at the Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, Warwickshire.
Dr Donaldson has had a number of completed research projects published in international journals and presents his research findings at both local and international conferences.
A Consultant Ophthalmologist at Greenlane Public Hospital Dr Donaldson is also a founding member of Eye Doctors.
Dr Donaldson has held a regular clinic in Warkworth for a number of years and was delighted to perform the first cataract operation at the Rodney Surgical Centre in Warkworth when it opened in 2010. He feels privileged to be able to restore people’s sight, especially in the picturesque heart of the Rodney District.
After ten years as a consultant ophthalmologist in Auckland Dr Donaldson remains passionate about his role and the role of his profession in improving vision and reducing the risk of blindness in New Zealand.
Dr Donaldson operates twice weekly and his
most common procedure is cataract surgery. Cataract surgery in the
context of glaucoma offers special opportunities and Dr Donaldson has
been leading the introduction of minimally invasive glaucoma surgery in
New Zealand which is undertaken usually at the time of cataract surgery
in patients with both cataract and glaucoma. Dr Donaldson has special
expertise in assessing and managing cataracts in patients who have
diabetes. Overall most patients attending Dr Donaldson with cataracts do
not have other problems and the restoration of sight and permanent
improvement in vision provided by cataract surgery is a very happy
outcome for patient and surgeon alike.
Dr Mark Donaldson consults and performs surgery at:
- Eye Doctors, Ascot Hospital and the Columba Surgical Centre
- Eye Doctors, Botany Junction
- Rodney Surgical Centre
Current Positions and Professional Memberships:
- Fellow, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists
- Consultant Surgeon, Auckland District Health Board
- Member, American Society of Retinal Specialists
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Auckland
- Trustee, Glaucoma New Zealand
- Member, New Zealand Medical Association
- Founding Director, Eye Doctors
Overseas Subspecialty Training:
- Fellowship in cataract and glaucoma, Western Eye Hospital, Marylebone, London
- Fellowship in medical retina, Birmingham, United Kingdom