Dr Penny McAllum
Dr Penny McAllum specialises in:
- Refractive Cataract Surgery – including astigmatism correcting lenses (Toric IOLs), multifocal lenses (ReSTOR IOLs)
- Pterygium Surgery – advanced conjunctival transplant techniques with tissue glue
- Corneal Transplantation – including full thickness and partial thickness transplants
- Keratoconus management – including corneal collagen crosslinking and corneal transplantation
- Management of allergies, dry eyes and other ocular surface diseases
- General Ophthalmology
After training in Auckland, Dr McAllum spent two years at the preeminent University of Toronto, Canada, gaining extensive experience in corneal transplant and pterygium surgery. She also developed expertise in complex cataract surgery and in the management of keratoconus. Her work was recognised by the University of Toronto with their ‘Best Fellow’ Award during her fellowship.
Dr McAllum then spent a year in Surrey, England furthering her skills in comprehensive ophthalmology and cataract surgery.
Dr McAllum has published 20 papers in peer-reviewed journals, a textbook
chapter and numerous other articles.
Her main research interests are:
- Corneal transplant surgery
- Pterygium surgery
- Infections of the Cornea
Several of her posters and papers at
international and local conferences have been awarded. She continues her
training at regular meetings and subspecialty courses and retains close
links with international colleagues.
During her two year fellowship in Canada, Dr McAllum trained in complex cataract surgery, so as well as straightforward cataracts, her skills include suturing lens implants, iris repairs and anterior segment reconstructions. Dr McAllum visits Niue Island on a regular basis, where she does cataract and pterygium surgery and sees a lot of patients with diabetes and keratoconus.
In Auckland she has two operating sessions each week, covering Ascot and Ormiston Hospitals and the Manukau Superclinic. The most common operation she does is cataract surgery, including complex cases, followed by pterygium surgery and corneal transplant surgery.
Married with two young children, Dr McAllum enjoys family bike rides,
good food and travel. She believes that life is too short to not do
something that matters.
Dr McAllum consults and performs surgery at:
- Eye Doctors, Botany Junction
- Ormiston Hospital
- Eye Doctors, Ascot Hospital and the Columba Surgical Centre
Current Positions and Professional Memberships:
- Consultant ophthalmic surgeon at Manukau Superclinic and Manukau Surgery
- Centre, Counties Manukau District Health Board
- Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer, University of Auckland
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO)
- Member of the Cornea and Contact Lens Society (NZ)
- Member of the Australasian Cornea Society
- Member of the Cornea Society (US)
- Member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
Overseas Fellowship Training/Subspecialty Training:
- Fellowship in cornea and external eye disease at the University of Toronto, Canada