Dr Andrew Riley
Dr Andrew Riley specialises in:
- Refractive Cataract Surgery, including astigmatism correcting lenses (Toric IOLs), multifocal lenses (ReSTOR IOLs) and accommodating lenses.
- Medical retina, including age-related macular degeneration (ARMD), diabetic and retinal vasculopathies.
- Oculoplastic surgery including lid repositioning, lesion and tumor excisions and reconstruction, cosmetic lid surgery (blepharoplasty), watery eye management and surgery.
After gaining his MBChB in 1994 Dr Riley worked at Wellington Hospital before a short OE where he worked as an Ophthalmology locum in London. On his return to New Zealand he worked towards joining the Ophthalmology training scheme, which included research work on cataract surgery at Auckland University. Having completed his Ophthalmic specialist training at Wellington Hospital in 2003 he returned to England for fellowship training in oculoplastics, anterior segment, medical retina and uveitis. He gained invaluable knowledge and experience during his time there.
Dr Riley continues to further his medical education to remain at the leading edge of his field. He teaches registrars and allied health professionals including Optometrists and General Practitioners and regularly attends international meetings and conferences. He has also played a leading role in a number of research initiatives including the introduction into Auckland Hospital of Avastin, Phase III trials of Anacortave for the treatment of age-related macular degeneration and Posurdex for the treatment of macular oedema.
Dr Riley has written and published a number of papers on Cataract Surgery in New Zealand. You can find his papers here on pubmed.
A passionate volunteer, Dr Riley uses his expertise to improve eye care in the Pacific, especially performing life changing cataract operations on patients in the Islands. Over the past ten years, he has performed eye surgeries and trained local medical professionals in the Solomon Islands, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and Papua New Guinea.
Back here in Auckland he has cataract lists at least twice a week at both the Greenlane Clinical Centre and in private practice at Eye Doctors in Remuera and Eye Doctors at Botany where surgery is performed at Ormiston Hospital.
Outside of work:
When he’s not working, Andrew enjoys spending time with his wife Kirsty and their two children. You’ll also find him working in the garden, golfing or out fishing on the water.
Dr Andrew Riley consults at:
- Eye Doctors, Ascot Hospital and the Columba Surgical Centre
- Eye Doctors, Botany Junction
- Lincoln Road, Henderson
- Ormiston Hospital
Current positions and professional memberships:
- Founding Director of Eye Doctors
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, Greenlane Clinical Centre, Auckland District Health Board
- Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer, University of Auckland
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists
- Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Trustee of VOSO New Zealand (Volunteer Ophthalmic Services Overseas)
- Founding Director of Ormiston Hospital 2008 - 2010
Overseas subspecialty fellowships:
- Fellowship in Oculoplastic Surgery and Anterior Segment, Royal Eye Infirmary, Plymouth, United Kingdom 2004
- Fellowship in Medical Retina and Uveitis, Royal Liverpool Eye Hospital, United Kingdom 2005